Happy New Year! I guess this time of year is one for reflection and 2018 was something of a mixed year for myself and my family with some real highs and real, real lows… but it IS the year I made the decision to leave my current job as a greetings card designer and go forth and… FREELANCE!
I’m looking forward to this brand new, shiny year and hoping it will bring all the good stuff! I don’t usually make resolutions but I feel like this year might be the time to at least set myself some goals so..
- I will be putting more work out there – By ‘Out There’ I mean on the ‘Gram, Twitter, the website and this shiny new blog here! I’ve always been a little too afraid of negative feedback, and also, previously due to working full time, far away and having other family responsibilities has meant I haven’t had much time to work on personal projects (i.e. the ‘postable’ stuff!) so hopefully with the big change of going freelance I will be able to show you more of what I do!
- Meeting new people in the industry – Again, this isn’t something I’ve had a lot of free time for with my current lifestyle, unfortunately! I’m excited about seeing some new faces and making some new friends and connections in the business! One BIG thing I will miss about working in a studio is the collaboration, feedback and the social aspect, really so I’m planning to look into a few networking events!
- This year I intend to open an Etsy store selling printed goods from cards to prints, possibly laser cut jewellery and anything else that I think folk might like! From this I may do a few craft fairs and whatnot too later in the year!
- I’m slowly getting my website to the stage of how I would LIKE it to look! It’s not too far off so the early part of this year will be spent tinkering with one or two minor things which I hope will increase it’s usability and showcase my work both effectively and creatively.
- Finally, I would like to inject more variety into my portfolio this year. For nearly 5 years I’ve been designing greetings cards so my portfolio is currently almost all… greetings cards (!!) of an illustrative or hand lettered nature. This year, I’d like to delve further into the world of graphic design…. packaging, branding, brochures, leaflets, book covers… anything and everything really! I can do it, and I can do it well – I’d just like to be able to show that I can so that people give me more of it to do! 🙂
So, if you would like to join me on this exciting journey of mine (yes, I actually used the word ‘journey’ – it’s going to be quite a departure from my previous way of living!) and have a creative challenge for me, please don’t hesitate to get in touch… you’ll be in safe hands 🙂 x